- 1 When you don’t urge to discard unwanted items
- 2 Carry unwanted items in a garbage disposal facility
- 3 Leaving everything to private waste collection company
When you don’t urge to discard unwanted items
When you have time until you move and don’t urge to discard unwanted item very soon, consider using flea market app or service to sell unwanted items. The followings are apps and services promoted in Japan.
Flea market apps
However, these services are all in Japanese and have no other language choices. It is quite difficult to use these services unless you can understand Japanese.
If you can’t use these services because you don’t understand Japanese, joining a real flea market in a community where you live is one of the choices to sell your unwanted items.
Go to a recycle shop
You should carry those in a recycle shop. It will make an assessment on the spot. Selling as expensive as possible, you brash up selling unwanted items
Carry unwanted items in a garbage disposal facility
You can take your unwanted items directly to a garbage disposal facility yourself. Garbage accepting days are fixed. You have to notify when you take your unwanted items there out of the designated days. You have to check the information from the website of a municipality.
Example case: Nishinomiya City (Kobe, Hyougo)
Booking for carry-in waste
When you carry in waste, you need to book from 10 days to the previous day before you plan to carry in.
- From Monday to Friday (including national hoiday): From 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Sunday, Satruday: From 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Discarding fee (general household’s oversided trash)
- ~50kg: 300 yen
- 50kg~: 60 yen is added per 10 kg
Discarding charge except for “oversized trash” is free for general citizens (residents)
Rough standard dimension of “oversized trash” is 40 cm square and its weight is 50 kg
From Monday to Saturday (including national holiday)
- non-flammable garbage, oversized trash: From 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Flammable garbage: From 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
If you don’t understand which category your unwanted items belong to , flammable or non-fllamable garbage, check this article about the basic disposing rule in Japan
Take your ID cards or a document that identifies yourself
You bring either of the following items
- Resident card
- Driver’s license
- Insurance card
- Bill of utility charge
Things to be noted
- We reject carrying in garbage without booking. Book from 10 days to the previous day before you carry in
- Don’t ask someone else to carry garbage but a garbage generator take the garbage and carry in
- Waste shall be generated from individual household
- If a garbage generator can’t bring garbage, only relatives shall be accepted to carry in garbage. Then, a certificate that proves the relationship shall be submitted
- We will check garbage on the spot if garbage you bring seems not to be generaged from your house
Leaving everything to private waste collection company
If you want to discard very heavy stuff and so many things at one time. You should leave it to a professional waste collection company. The following company is English friendly collection company which takes charge of Yokohama and Tokyo area